Being unemployed sucks. Yesterday, I heard back from two of my most recent spate of about 10 job applications. One was a sorry-we-decided-not-to-hire-anyone and the other was a sorry-we-decided-not-to-hire-you. When I was a young fiction writer with stars in my eyes, I used to save my rejection letters, with the fantasy of pulling them out in some future celeb interview. Ah well. These days I’m not so starry eyed or sentimental.
But I am a little sensitive and so today I’ve come up with my top 10 list of what not to say to your out of work friend, family member or ex-colleague:
10. You still don’t have a job? Yet?
9. How come you can’t find a job? Oh, sorry, gotta get back to work.
8. Hey, let’s go shopping!
7. You know, I don’t understand why you’re not working. There are so many jobs out there!
6. My cousin Mary just got the greatest job, just what you were looking for. Great salary, benefits and she gets to go to Europe!
5. You know, you’re the lucky one, I have to work twice as hard since they laid you off.
4. God, I hate my job.
3. Guess what? I just found out I HAVE to take an extra week of vacation before next year. THAT sucks.
2. Hey, you could clean my house, I’ll pay you $20!
1. You still don’t have a job? Yet?